Saturday, February 2, 2013

21st century.

A while back, I debated to pros and cons of reading actual books vs. e-readers. And while I still truly love reading a good old fashioned book, actually holding the book and flipping the pages and all the delights that come with that, I have made the switch.



And you know what? It's not so bad.

In fact, it's pretty great.

I am shocked to hear myself say that but as it turns out, there really is something to these e-readers. As someone who likes to have a book with me at all times, just in case, it can be sometimes cumbersome to carry around an actual book in my purse all the time. Especially if it's a longer book or a hard cover, my purse can get awfully heavy. My tiny little Nook fits nice and easily into my bag without adding a ton of weight. So that's a bonus.

My nook has a non-glared screen (unlike a computer) so it doesn't hurt my eyes if I choose to read for a long time. While it's still not the same as reading off an actual page, it's not as distracting as I thought it could be. I've made the transition to reading on a screen rather seamlessly, and the added bonus is that the Nook has a back light so if I don't have light access or I'm with others who've gone to bed, I can still read.

My other favorite part of having an e-reader is that I have constant access to my personal library. As of now, I have a whole list of books waiting for me to read. New books. When I was reading regular books I would sometimes finish a new book but then reread an old one or two while waiting to get to the library or waiting til I have money to purchase a new one. Now I have books delivered electronically and instantly, allowing me to ever expand my library. Plus with sites like Book Bub, I can get cheap or free books, really cutting down the cost of new reading materials.

So I've taken the plunge and joined the 21st century. and I'm quite enjoying it.

No comments:

Post a Comment