Friday, January 21, 2011

Maybe I'm just old fashioned.

I've seen a lot of ads lately for ereaders. Kindle. Nook. Other various knockoff brands.




I'm intrigued by the concept and in many ways it's a good one. Buying ebooks saves trees, you can carry multiple books around as well as newspapers, magazines and what have you easily and well contained. It's small and portable so you don't have to lug around a bulky book, especially if it's hardcover.

I know a lot of people who have ereaders who love them. I know others who love the idea and have one on their wish list.

Personally, I'm still on the fence.

Maybe I'm old fashioned, but there's something I really love about holding that book in my hands. I like the small of it, the feel of actual pages and the action of turning those pages one by one until I reach the back cover. It's comforting in many ways to hang on to the story in physical form and get lost in the excitement of what's between the front and back covers. Maybe it's just me, but I don't quite see the charm and wonderment occurring reading a book off a screen.

Not only that, but reading off a screen tends to hurt my eyes. I suppose the ereader screen is a bit different than a computer screen, but it's a screen none the less.

There's just something exciting about seeing that front cover with the (hopefully) engaging and not overdone cover art, the way the title is laid out and the font used. Being able to run your hand over that and know you're about to take another journey into an altered universe where you can escape when reality gets too much.

So there you have it. As much as the ereaders have going for them, I'm just not sure I'm ready to part with my good old fashioned book and the charm it brings to my life.

6 comments:

  1. I totally agree with you. :) Good post!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I feel the same way. I love a beautiful cover and the weight and feel of the pages. I recently 'rescued' a ratty old paperback from the garbage because it was such a beautiful well-loved book. (and it was one I wanted to read anyway, ha!)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good call Trish! I love that story!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi! I just found your blog (via the Jen Lancaster post- I'm currently obsessed with her books!) and I have to say I feel the same way. However, I do own a Nook, and love it. The screen issue was big for me, because I get eye strain from working w/ a computer all day. The e-ink ereaders (like the regular Nook - not color- and I believe Kindle) are exactly like reading a regular book. The ereader is very convenient for when you travel as you only have to take one smallish book instead of several. I admit though, that I miss buying traditional books TERRIBLY, and often the ebook version costs more than the regular book, which sucks. I like being able to see the cover, and feel the pages in my hand, and not worry about the battery dying or getting it dirty or wet. I love the smell of books. I love going to bookstores and browsing til I find something interesting. I love seeing my bookshelves teeming with books. I love my Nook, but I can never give up real books either. I'm thinking I'll end up buying a lot of second hand books after I read the ebook because I love books to death.

    ReplyDelete
  5. hi maylove! i'm totally obsessed with jen lancaster. she's beyond hilarious! i can't wait to read her new novel.

    i think going back and forth between a nook or kindle and real books is a good compromise. i can see carrying an ereader in my bag for ease/less weight but i could never totally give up books either.

    ReplyDelete