Friday, May 13, 2011

Jen Lancaster, in person.

If you're a book nerd like me then getting to meet one of your favorite authors in person is always a big thrill.


Last weekend I had the pleasure of attending my second (!) Jen Lancaster book signing for her new novel, If You Were Here.






This is Lancaster's first work of fiction, which is quite exciting. I'm totally obsessed with her memoirs and couldn't wait to my my hands on this book. Luckily, my sister pre-ordered me a copy for my birthday (Thanks, sis!) and I got it just in time for the event.






Even getting to the Barnes and Noble the better part of an hour early, it was still standing room only left. The crowds had already formed to hear Lancaster read, answer questions and get books signed. My friend Jen and I patiently waited, discussing all things Jen Lancaster: previous books and the parts we loved, how Lancaster might make her entrance (we hoped pumping her fists like Rocky to “Eye of the Tiger”....no luck), and what we thought the new novel was going to be like.






Then the time came, Lancaster came to the podium as the crowd snaked all around the upstairs of Barnes and Noble cheered. She started off reading an excerpt from If You Were Here that had everyone laughing out loud at her trademark humor and wit. There's certainly no lacking of Lancaster's voice in her characters. With that excerpt, anyone who hadn't read the book yet (Jen and I included) couldn't wait to see what else was in store. Following the reading Lancaster answered questions from the audience about her pets, what she misses about the city and other things book related.






Lancaster's just as funny in person as she is in her writing and it always a pleasure getting to hear her speak. After a quick coffee break, it was time to get our books signed. Jen and I stepped into the line winding around various book shelves displaying titles from all things gardening to parenting, spirituality and all things in between. We spent out time waiting entertaining ourselves discussing random book titles and reading through a book of useless information (example: people, on average, laugh about 13 times per day.) Finally, it was almost our turn. We briefly discussed what we should talk about while getting our books signs and then we were. Lancaster was friendly and open as she signed out books and posed for a picture. It was a fantastically fun evening and I've since made my way over halfway through If You Were Here. So far I'll say it's everything I hoped it would be.



No comments:

Post a Comment